CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Project Time

Stuffed animals have taken over my home. It doesn't matter how many times a day they get put away, they always escape again. My friend has this zookeeper thing that I've been coveting for while, but I didn't want to shell out that much dough. So I decided to make one. I've never really done anything like this before, but the design looked pretty simple, so why not?

First, I drew up my plans. Then the whole fam went to Lowe's with me. Every time I asked one of the employees a question, they would ask Mike follow up questions, or just turn to him and give him the answer. He finally told the guy, "I don't know, this is her project." After pricing out PVC pipe vs. wood, wood looked cheaper. Being the lazy novice I am, I just used pre-primed composite molding :).

The weather has been springish (finally!) around here, so I opened up the garage and set up the table saw. As I was sawing and drilling, a neighbor approached me with his son asking for donations for the March of Dimes. He asked what I was doing, and I explained. Then he looked at me with obvious skepticism and asked,

"Why don't you just have your husband build it for you?"

I was very tempted to tell him that I don't let my husband use my tools, but my lack of expertise was a bit too apparent. Yes, I'm sure Mike would do a great job making the zoo, but I WANTED TO DO IT! Of course all of this happened after I had given him all my spare change. Anyway, here are the pics, and thank you to Mike and Kate for helping me!








Also has great potential as a "Time Out Corner"!


Hey, there's extra room up top! Looks like I need to get some more stuffed animals...

2 comments:

Clandestine Road said...

You are so impressive! What a great idea!

middledavis said...

I LOVE the zoo!! I'll bet the girls love it too.